Sunday, August 4, 2013

The BURST!!!

Hello and welcome everyone...this is the 4th in a series of eight blogs. Today we concentrate on the "burst." No matter what sport or competitive event, whether team or individual, you need the "burst." The burst is different than having a "kick." In my "Webster," the  kick applies to running long distance, biking, or
skating/skiing, swimming...all long distance, over 400m. The burst
applies to sprints, T&F, racquet sports, X Games, endurance and
body building (weight lifting). My apologies if I missed your sport.
For the past one dozen years, I have used the word "NOW: as my
mental igniter. When I say the word NOW aloud, that triggers GO.
90% of my sprint drills demand the NOW command. My brain,
my body responds to that command. Example...200m, load and explode out of the blocks. That's the first "burst." All out for the
first 20m and then I pull back to 90% capacity for 80m. With
100m to go, my next NOW, with 40m to go, my next NOW, and
with 10m my final NOW. All bursts of additional speed. Arms,
legs are fluid...reaching. Remember...the faster you move your arms, the faster your legs will move...count on it! My training, drills...from 30m to 400m, including uphill sprinting...I practice
"BURSTS." Even in the high jump and long jump. The word NOW
has been the catalyst for all of my gold medals. Never underestimate the power of your mind.

Have a meaningful life everyone...jimmyo
Reference: www.secondwindfitnessfilm.com

No comments: