Sunday, November 18, 2007

LIFESTYLE IMPACT (PART 2)

Hello everyone! Being mentally and physically fit creates energy, excitement and a sense of " I feel whole." A healthy and positive self image. Yesterday I facilitated a clinic for seniors. The central thread among those in attendance: "over the years I started and stopped fitness programs several times. I am no better off now than I was 10 years ago," Sound familiar?

For beginners...SLOW AND EASY. Where do I start and what to do? Begin with walking, treadmill, or biking. After 20 to 30 minutes stretching is in order. You need to stretch arms and legs. This can be done from a standing and or sitting position. Use a chair, stretch band and a pair of 1,2, or 3 pound weights. Next try for 5 to 10 minutes of cardio. Now cool down with a walk or biking for 5 minutes. Stretching is critical...you want to invest your time getting fit, not in rehab. Reminders: BREATH DEEPLY while exercising. More about breathing in future blogs. Be creative and have fun. Drink plenty of water, 8 oz per 30 minutes of exercise. Remember your notebook and revisit your goals. ARE YOU MOVIVATED?!

Sidelights: Four weeks ago a gentleman requested I be his personal trainer. He wanted to lose 150 pounds. Age 53. After 4 weeks I am happy to report that he has lost 29 pounds the safe way. My youngest client is a 4 year old girl with motor skill deficiencies. Will talk more about her in future blogs. Her first session was friday for 45 minutes.

Have a great life everone! JIMMY O

No comments: