Sunday, February 17, 2008

OLYMPIC TRAINING (part 2 )

OLYMPIC TRAINING (part 1) Presented an overview of my training agenda...the physical part inclusive of exercise routine and duration of each exercise.
Today I will focus on the mental aspect of a fitness/training program...specifically, my mental exercises. I base my feelings for mental fitness on the following : personal experience, obsevation of athletes in any age group and any level of competition and listening to athletes over 7 decades. Most people,( whether it be in fitness, exercise, driving to work or life in general) tend to find a comfort zone, create a routine for activities. Some take it a step further...they get into a rut. A rut is convenient, we don't have to think...we become robotic. When that happens routines become boring, life becomes boring, we become boring.

WE MUST STEP OUT OF OUR COMFORT ZONE! Question: Will my training/workout program accomplish the desired results? There is more to reaching a goal than workout, train, counting, scales and stop watch. In the competitive arena the physical abilities of each are about equal. The difference is the mental toughness. Mary Decker Tab, former world and US record holder in the 1500 m. was asked, what do think about before you race? Mary responded " I think about everything that can happen during the race. I see myself running the race and I visualize myself winning." All the way back to her training for the event Mary saw herself winning. Visualize yourself as already being there...you begin to act and behave as though you were already there. Winning an event begins long before the actual event. It begins getting out of your comfort zone and changing your training agenda...adding and subtracting. Even though the Senior Olympics isn't until august I am already visualizing myself in each and every event. Also in this way I don't cheat on myself when doing exercises and mentally accepting new and different exercises. WARNING: make sure you have safety in mind when attempting anything new.

In summary:1) write down your goal(s).
2) variability, simplicity and meaningfulness must compliment your goals.
3) visualize yourself as already being there
4) never lose track of where you are in the process.
WINNING IS NOT LUCK, IT IS NOT JUST PHYSICAL, IT IS MENTAL TOUGHNESS.


Reference:www.secondwindfitnessfilm.com

HAVE A GREAT LIFE EVERYONE! JIMMY O


No comments: