Sunday, January 11, 2009

MEET THE "MIRACLE" WOMEN IN SENIOR FITNESS

HELLO AND WELCOME EVERYONE! A few weeks ago I wrote about the senior women in one of my "balance your life" classes and how rewarding this class was for me. The response from all of you has been overwhelming. Originally, I designed the class for two sessions per week and for six weeks. Well, these women are now starting their 24th session. I am now adding a new series of exercises in order keep interest at a high level and present a challenge. These women are now kicking a soccer ball (stress reducer) and they are learning ten basic moves in martial arts, six defensive and four offensive moves. This week I will introduce the balance board and hopping on two feet and one foot in different directions. A challenge to their newly acquired balance. How did all of this come about?! PERSPECTIVE: as a personal/athletic trainer I discovered that more time needs to be given to the individual...asking questions, listening, observing and introducing a series of exercises in a progressive manner. Trainers tend to spend too much time talking about machines and feeding the individual with tons of technical information. This whirlwind of "tech info" causes client confusion and a memory test. My balance class is about the importance of balance...no machines, no weight lifting and no laying on the floor. When one acquires better balance, along with that comes better coordination, strength and reaction time. Reflex and reaction time comes about using the soccer ball and tennis ball.
Remember, these women range in age from 57 to 74. Yes, this has been a great learning experience for me. The ingredients for a great fitness experience...fun, laughter, socialize and learning on the part of both trainer and client. And, allow the class to select some of the exercises.
So, to my "miracle women" thank you for coming into my life. The class has no ending, so no one will graduate, ever. Carl Rogers said it best, "I became a great teacher, when I became an excited learner"...it's not about me, it's about the client(s).

HAVE A GREAT AND MEANINGFUL LIFE EVERYONE! Jimmy O
Reference: www.secondwindfitness film.com
Email: sprint444@hotmail.com

No comments: