Saturday, December 15, 2012

Heroes

Hello and welcome everyone...this blog is dedicated to the tragedy
and memory of Sandy Hook Elementary school in Newtown Ct.
Life is so fragile...as a society, we need to look at ourselves first in
search of the problem and then the solution. I have an empty feeling today, however, I want to reach out vs lash lash out. This
blog will be a change of pace...taking a side road for a few miles.

On Monday, Dec. 10th 27 men and women graduated from my
pickleball class. This graduation honored people with disabilities.
My fitness classes are attended by physically and mentally
challenged, so why not a sport. Over the past year I designed a
pickleball class for people with disabilities. And for the past three
months, I played left handed to better understand the difficulty in
retraining brain and developing a new muscle memory, motor skill
and learning a sport. To the amazement of the "nay sayers," We
did it! This was a six weeks class, one hour each week. This
venture is entitled The Hero Program. Each participant was
presented with an Olympic torch medal with the word Hero engraved on the back. I had eight men and women from my other
classes actually do the instructing. Four of the participants will now
enroll in my class for beginners. Yesterday, I received a call from
one of my instructors with this message, "I just saw three of our
graduates and all three were still wearing their medals." This was
not about pickleball, it was about bringing people together.
Have a meaningful life everyone...JimmyO
Reference:www.secondwindfitnessfilm.com

No comments: