Sunday, January 6, 2013

FINISH LINE

Hello and welcome everyone...over the past few weeks we have
addressed specific training drills and relief from pain and injury.
This week...the mental part of the game/training. When was the last time you heard a teacher/instructor/coach talk about mental fitness.
In my case, never. There is much more to this than jumping up and
down shouting u rah rah. Think in terms of a two wheel bike. The
hind wheel, is the driving force...that's the skill, motion, muscle and
the training. The front wheel...that's what gets us to where we want
to go. That's the MENTAL part of everything we want to accomplish. Developing mental toughness is as much a part of the
prep time as the physical. Most men and women rely on only the
hind wheel. Unicycle doesn't get you very far. Athletes tell me all
the time..." can't get any better. What's wrong." When athletes
reach that point, the point of desperation, they begin to "mask" their ability with supplements. When I ask athletes "do the
supplements help you." The answer, "I don't know." It's the "placebo" effect. Mental toughness begins in training with each drill.
Each training session should be a challenge. When we think we can't do any more... add two more minutes. My training, the drills,
I make more difficult than the event itself. Event day...I make it a
point to look into the eyes of my competitors and I can tell who is
ready mentally and who is not. First to the finish line, Where winners and survivors always meet.

Have a meaningful life everyone...Jimmy O
Reference: www.secondwindfitnessfilm.com

No comments: