Sunday, July 31, 2011

JOURNEY/FLASHBACK

Hello and welcome everyone! Right off the top...thanks to the people at "Dimensions of Senior Living expo." I conducted a clinic on "how to play pickleball." The audience was the best ever. Laughs and fun. This blog is dedicated to the "I can't men and women." The year was 2000...I was age 60. I wanted to change my life...get in shape. I started with pushups and situps. Got to 25 in each. Started jogging around a baseball field. From first base the out field and back to third base. I had to walk from 3rd to home to 1st base. Could not jog all the way around. I did this 3 times. 5AM each morning I lifted weights. Two hours a day 7 days a week. Pain,
sweat and coughing. I never looked up. No other goals...just get in shape.
In 2003, I decided to return to college to earn my certification as a personal/athletic trainer. Now I began to set goals. Flashback...in my boyhood years I could run all day. I was always the fastest. Would run to grade school 3 miles each way starting in the 3rd grade. everyone else would ride their bikes. CHALLENGE! When I returned to college the class endurance coach challenged the 19 (avg age)students to beat me in the pushup and situp competition. They were doing (avg) 25 of each in one minute. I did 104 pushups and 87 situps in one minute. Now I had higher goals. Reading all I could about the Senior Olympics and The Masters. I started competing in 2004. Winning gold medals. Competing for other cancer patients. I was driven. This was more than a dream...this was a vision. For details refer to: www.secondwindfitnessfilm.com.

No comments: